Sunday, March 09, 2008

Holy Chaos!
This past week has been a disaster, disorganized, disappointing mess.

I volunteered for grave yard shifts at the hospital, well, rather I said I wanted to work them.

I still have to finish my temp tour at my guard base which ends at the end of the month.

I am now working both of them for the rest of the month becasue I had to secure this shift now, so later I don't get stuck working shifts that make it so I never see my kids.

I'm not supposed to do "double shifts" according to the military. So now I feel stuck and torn.

I sleep when I can, an hour here, and hour there. between getting the kids to swimming, soccer, and running soccer practice for the team I coach. My coworkers at the hospital are gracious enough to let me clock off and sleep from time to time when it is slow, so that gets me usually another hour or 2.
But then when it was added up, i had 7 days and 98 hours scheduled. but finesse made it so I didnt work all of them. And i had to beg off last night from the hospital because of an exercise at guard. we had extended hours, which was disappointingly cutting into my sleep that should have let me have 6 straight hours.
A series of events, getting out of drill later than preferred, locking myself out of the house I'm housesitting, actually losing that key is more accurate, spending too long looking for it, calling the locksmith I now have on speed dial after locking myself out of my car 2 days in a row 2 weeks ago, needing to wash my uniform because it was sweaty, charcoaly, and stinky, led to me getting roughly 1 hour of sleep since 5 am this morning.
Tonight I am alone at work (sad thing for me)
this leads to no sleep until 430 pm tomorrow afternoon, after working my temp tour.
I feel frustrated. i can't train when I'm this tired, and I feel like I am eating too many carbs just to stay awake, and the scale is being mean to me, as well as my clothes. Working like this isn't good for my health. Thank goodness It is almost over. The worst is behind me. I don't have my kids this week, they're on a cruise to mexico (poor them, huh?), and I'm not working another grave until friday, so I have a few days to recover. I am scheduled to take a test on Tuesday, that I'm woefully not prepared for because when I try to read a book, my eyes close for very long blinks, and the information becomes more slippery than a wet bar of soap, and that is frustrating to me. I hope I can spend a good amount of time tomorrow (after a nap, of course) studying.
It is a nursing test #2 in a series of 6, and i hear the part students struggle on are the fluid and electrolyte sections and the nutriton section... from the practice questions feeding tubes are a big portion of the nutrition section.

I'm sure I will do just fine and pass. I know I have that base of knowledge. But, I'm thinking of maybe applying for medical school in a few years, so that puts more pressure on me to excell and have a decent GPA from here on out. I have a spotty academic past when it comes to grades because, well, life tends to get in the way when you start college with kids and a husband that doesn't really care to support you in what you do... and of course the divorce that is bound to accompany that kind of attitude.

So yeah, fun times, right?

No comments: