Thursday, August 03, 2006

Hookey

I would love to be playing hookey today, not hockey with a puck, but hookey without work. My little D. will be going to Anchorage with her father, and I get to stay here and go to drill. I'm not disappointed I'll be busy this weekend, I wouldn't have gone with even if I didn't have anything. But it would be nice to just hang out with her for a day. Ah well. I've got to find a way to get out of here a bit early this evening, I have to register for the race I'm running this Saturday, a little 8K, before the game starts at 6, so there is a small time frame for me to make it happen... and the girl I am supposed to be training to take over for me isn't here... gotta love stupid-visors. I guess on one hand I do understand that positions need to be covered. On the other, what's the point of trying to train someone to replace you if they're never here to be trained? The biggest part of my job, and training challenge, will be the loyalty my patients have to me (my patients like I'm the doctor... sorry for my pompousness, but I can't help but take personal responsibility for their well being...). They are easily won over once they get used to the new person, but you have to convince them to let the new person try. So, how is that accompished if the new person is never here?

I'm not really irritated about it, but concerned might be a word to use. My day is going very smoothly though without a trainee.

Guard weekend is coming up. I can't help but be more focused on my weight as each month ticks by and I get theoretically closer to basic. I've still got to shed 5 pounds to be at weight, and more would be better for me especially if I think I'm going to be able to do some pull ups.

The marathon looms in the near future. I really need to change my thinking on this one. I will essentially need to use it as a training run, and have fun this weekend with my kids, go to the water park, and eat good food, gather crap for the start of the school year and just enjoy them. I cannot put pressure on myself for it, because I will never be where I think I should be. That is just the way of it. I need to be okay with that. I have a lot of room for improvement and it won't happen over night. So 26.2 miles is a training run, and should be fun! If it turnes into a walk, well then, I'm sure I'll have people around me still. I can walk a pretty good clip as I demonstrated Wednesday night on my sad attempt at a long run :-)

So have a good day all!

Dorkness OUT!

No comments: