Thursday, October 19, 2006

What a Waste

I live in Alaska. And today is October 19th, and there is no snow on the groung. This is probably the most awesomest fall in the history of this region and I'm wasting it by being inside doing homework, and earning a pay check and things like that. Yes, darkness is closing in on us fast, but man, I need to get out there and enjoy this amazing running weather. (rumor has it that it is snowing lightly outside right now.) I bought running shoes last night. That was an adventure all in itself. If I weren't honest, I'd have a car-load of shoes since the store was completely unattended for a full 15 minutes before someone else came in. He was carrying a cordless phone. I asked if he worked there, and he said no....pause.... I just own the place.

I'm thinking, "you're kidding... and you left thousands of dollars of merchandise unattended." Oh well, lets move on and get some shoes. He tells me I'm wearing the wrong size shoe. He made fun of me for wearing sandals... in october in alaska... believe me it was for his benefit :-) I had been on my feet all day and well, yesterday was a stressful day, and my feet actually ached last night.... not usual for me.

I ended up with 2 pairs of shoes. One pair new balance, that I don't usually wear, but he had a buy one get one FREE sale... so yeah, I'll wear them for free... he felt the need to reassure me that nothing was wrong with the shoes, that they were "spring colors" and they're making room for the fall shoes... Nothing wrong with that! I got a shirt that was 50% off that I had picked out while I was all alone in the store... so I made out pretty good. He sold me insoles too, that he felt I needed. Of course, I'm taking advice from an old guy who reeked of cigarette smoke, and probably doesn't run unless he is being chased, so we'll see if his advice is even worth while. The other pair of shoes, are Saucony, which I had picked out, but he got a smaller size for me. :-) we'll see if my toes bruise up because my feet swell when I run... we'll just see.

So now, I have new shoes, new socks (2 pairs), and maybe a running partner. I should have sweetened the deal with new shoes for him, but really. I guess I'm selfish because it didn't even occur to me to get him a pair. Ah, well, maybe he'll forgive me, go and get fitted for the correct pair of shoes, and we can both run injury free this fall/winter.

I'm ready to start running. I want to get back into it. I can't believe that I had let it slide for so long. I guess the disappointment of the marathon has struck a fear inside of me. I'm afraid of failure a second time. I guess, I don't really have a choice because an extra day with my kids is on the line this time, not just an arbitrary number and time goal. If I can get the speed work in, I can earn an extra pass graduation weekend at basic, and that means more time with my kids. I don't want them thinking that they're not important enough for me to work my bootie off to spend time with them. However, I'm not sure if I am physically capapble of getting there. It is the pull ups that I'm stressing over. I'm running out of time... anyone else know how to build up to pull ups?

Enough of that... have a good day all! oh and to hear an awesome race report on a Boston Qualifying Race, it is worth it!

No comments: