Friday, June 30, 2006

Procrastinated Enough

I've been doing almost anything to avoid posting this. I want to because it needs to be documented, but at the same time it is kind of embarassing and I expected more from myself. My mile race was last night, but you all know that because I was totally stressing over it.

I ended up with the "fast" ladies of the evening. I'm glad I went with them because they went first and I would have missed pictures if I had gone in the second heat. Also someone in the fast group cracked my mental toughness by walking... if SHE can walk, dammit so can I.

We went out fast. I made sure I was towards the back of the pack so as to not impede someone who actually knows how to run on a track. I know that these races are tactical and you need to plan in your mind how you are going to execute the distance. Even paces, with a kick 300 meters to go and all that. I had it all planned out, too... first three laps would be around 1:50, then the last lap would be by ear... either hold steady then sprint in, or pick it up and sprint in. There was a wind on the homestretch, too. And tracks are weird to me, you feel the head wind, but when it should be to your back, nothing. There is no push down the backstretch... weird.

So, the first two laps were both about 5-10 seconds too fast for my pace, then the girl walked on the third lap... so for some reason I decided to walk/run the last lap, and sprint in... lame, I know!

I got my offical time this morning 8:42.3

In my defense I've only ran a timed mile 4 times, including this one, actually 5, but two were in the same day and the second one I threw out the window and walked.

7th grade gym class, beginning of the year: 9:26

7th grade gym class, end of the year: 9:26

12th grade gym class, end of the year (after giving birth to a child)

1st period: 9:59

2nd period: ????

Last night: 8:42.3

So with all that said, I set a PR in the mile :-)

I made it to everything, I got out of work on time, and I got registered for the half-marathon (13.1 miles) that will be taking place on July 8th... so another chance to try to prove my worth as an athlete. I'm not doing so well thus far this season... But it will be really fun to see the difference between this summer and next summer after basic and all, I'll be totally in shape and weigh less! And I'll have a winter of no snow, and that will really help jump start things for me!

Okay enough of this

Dorkness OUT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't get down on yourself too badly. Every race doesn't go as planned. Plus, you still PRed! That's always a good thing.

Just take some lessons from this race and apply them to the next one. And congrats on the PR!