Friday, June 23, 2006

Running Drunk

Not me, I don't drink, and I had gone into a lengthy monologue about the title, but the computer decided that the internet connection needed to close because of an error... maybe because I had left the window open too long without typing in it because I had patients...

The abbreviated version was that I came home from the soccer game I coached, they tied 1-1 and played a good game. I was in a great mood and was going to tell my mom about it. I walked in the door and saw my parents had company... and on the counter was crown royal, malibu rum, and a big bottle of wine, YAY! So I imagine they all started earlier than just a few minutes prior... the big fella that comes and visits my parents a lot gave me a hug and asked how I was doing... I'm not a big fan of hugging my dad's friends, especially when they've been drinking, but I reason out that it would just be the fastest way through the house. I grab the tetris game and go out to the deck. My mom is there with the female half of the company, that explains the wine.

The men move out to the yard and are leaning on the bed of a pickup truck... looking like it takes 7 of them to put their elbows on the sides all around it, so they can hold it down... damn gravity never know when it will release its grip, and this truck is the most valuable thing we want to keep down!

I try to ignore them, but my dad tried to get my attention. I decide that I am going to run even though my shins are bothering me. It is better than hanging out with the drunks.

I decide to find gravel/dirt roads. I remember some that we used to 4 wheel on when I was still living at home as a teenager. Wow have things changed! There are some really nice houses and a lot more subdivisions out there than there used to be. Still a lot of wooded area, so it was great for shade! This house that is pictured thorugh out the post is one I would love to live in! Obviously, who wouldn't? Three bedroom, 2 bath, near my parents in the school district that the kids need to be in... and I have quiet gravel roads to run on. It is at the end of the street in kind of a culdesac so there wouldn't be a whole lot of traffic... But I don't think I'll qualify for a 250,000 dollar house :-( maybe it will still be for sale when I come back and get my signing bonus... maybe by then I can qualify for something nice like that... maybe.

I ran 40 minuts last night and cleared 3.7 miles

This morning I ran for 65 minutes. It should have been 75, but my math is faulty first thing in the morning and I didn't figure time to get ready for work... so I had to cut it a few minutes short.

So 65 minutes and 4.8 miles.

It was slower than I had wanted, but I had a long time before my shins really got warmed up. Also I was kind of gawking at houses and going down roads I didn't know, and some ended kind of abrubptly so I had to turn around and try to find another route. I left still more roads unexplored and that will keep me occupied for my long run on Monday morning. I have a track workout scheduled for tomorrow. I've never finished a workout of this type, but in my mind I like them... called Yasso 800's... so we'll see how that goes... they are designed to predict your marathon pace with all other conditioning being present on race day your minute:second time for consecutive 800's will be your hour:minute time in marathon distance. So if you can do your 800's in 2minutes 30 seconds your predicted marathon time should be 2 hours 30 minutes. This theory was designed by Bart Yasso... hence the name :-)

Okay so enough of that. I get my kids back tonight! And I'm thinking a little lake time is in order this weekend. The water is very cold, we ARE in Alaska, afterall, and my legs could use some icing.

Dorkness OUT!

No comments: