Thursday, July 20, 2006

Admit Defeat & Strive for Victory

Can you simultaneously do that? I'm at a point now in my marathon training that I've come to the stark realization that I am not superwoman. The training paces are going to dictate my overall marathon goal. Not some ambiguous number pulled out of the wishing hat. I mulled this over last night during a run that accidently went 10 minutes too long. Oh oops. Has that ever happened before? Hadn't I always been a slave to the clock ticking the seconds away wondering when I can be done? Last night I was prescribed a tempo run. I took off fast after my 20 minutes of easy running. It felt so good, but could I hold this pace for 3-5 miles. HAHAH no! So it ended up being a Fartlek Run in the true sense of it. I toyed with my speed taking off at varying "fast-ness" I got down to 7:05 min mile. I'm sure I didn't hold it long, but wow to know you can run that fast, that is cool. Now I'm wondering, can I get it to dip down to sub 7? Can I hold a 7:05 longer.... can I possibly keep it up and practice that speed to expand to 3.1 miles? Wouldn't that just be totally spiffy?

So while I've admitted to myself that my true Marathon goal should be just a sub 5 hr marathon, or on a really good day 4:40. It sounds so silly to wish for that, but I'm there, that is what I have to offer to the table. I can't do a 2:38 half, so obviously the only way I'm getting to Beijing is by buying a plane ticket. But I will keep going and I will see where I go. I will take this, I am hoping that this marathon won't be a death march. I enjoy feeling so beat up and knowing I've done something not many people have... but I've been woefully underprepared for the last 2 marathons I've even attempted. 1999 8 months after giving birth to my daughter... going from below sea level to the the top of Mount Marathon (figuratively speaking of my athletic abilities and fitness level) I made it to mile 20 then just felt so broken, my spirit and my hip were telling me I was a fool. 2003 the Equinox would not break me. This crazy trail marathon known for its extreme elevation changes would be my first completed marathon. I finished, but I shouldn't have even started. I ran only 1 mile of it, walking the rest in varying shades of slowness. So if I can finish this marathon in good form and not wishing I could put a bullet in my head to stop the suffering, I will count it a victory. I also have to err on the side of caution. It really sucks to have your job dependant on your physical abilities and if you aren't able you aren't employeed... but the military has their reasons and if I ever have to try to out run a bullet, well, then all that PT was worth it, wasn't it?

Enough philosophy from me today. My run ended up being 1:21 and 6.7 miles

Dorkness out!

No comments: