Monday, July 03, 2006

Fast Candy

Why do doctor offices have candy in their dish by the check-in window first thing in the morning, when most of their morning patients checking in for lab work are FASTING, meaning they've not had anything to eat, and usually drink for 12 + hours???? I knew that was a bad idea when I saw it. People have to be consciously thinking about not eating when they are checking in, otherwise they pop that chocolate into their mouths.

Of course, this morning 10 minutes before I'm supposed to be open, I get a lady who bursts into my area frantic because she popped two pieces of chocolate into her mouth just "one minute" ago... grrr... But I'm not open! But patient care says take care of it, and don't be a bitch. Then she gets faint when she gets her blood drawn... so she needs to lie down. Oh okay... So I decide to go with the flow and do my thang... and she thanked me profusely. Honestly if it had been me, I would have done the same thing. It is hard to take time out of your day to not only starve yourself, but then to go to an appointment that requires time off from work... do you really want to do that to yourself more than once because the doctor's office is obviously not thinking? No. And now I'm not grumpy, we got a laugh out of it, she felt so stupid, but it is human nature... if you're hungry and you see food, it is like reflex, in your mouth it goes.

Speaking of, I'm hungry, the line in the cafeteria was super long so I ended up with cold cereal and a yogurt to by-pass all the people who got warm yummy cooked food. Oh well, probably better, less calories than the pancakes and bacon I've been getting of late...

Okay, time to pretend I've got a job that needs to be done :-)

Happy Trails

Dorkness OUT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey hey now... what's wrong with cereal and yogurt? throw in a piece of fruit and you eat what I normally eat in the morning before work. :-)