Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Sweet Therapy

Ah, finally, the day is almost done, and finally I get an opportunity to pour my thoughts into this journal. It has been a weird kind of day. It started, thankfully with an extra person down here to not only get some training but to cover me while I go to my annual physical. We were very busy at first! I could have done without her, but she needs to get a feel for the first morning rush of patients, all of whom are usually fasting and feel they should be drawn first so they can eat/medicate, or whatnot. But alas first come, first serve, and often they know this and socialize while they wait... but they never have to wait too long, not on my watch :-)

My appt, went well. I have another one to follow up a concern I have on Tuesday.... more coverage needed by the girl here this am... it will be good practice because I think she'll be the one to take my place when I'm gone.

She left when I came back, but shortly there after, I had an extern who would come and observe. She cannot draw any patients... not mine anyway... and she was very close to my the whole time. I guess I'm a person who likes their space. She asked why I didn't have the cupboards labeled. I said I was the only one who works down here the majority of the time so I know where everything is... she asked about when I'm not here... personally I think labels are tacky. But that is just me.

I let her draw blood from my finger tip, called a capillary poke, it felt like she was trying to rip my finger from my hand... pulling and causing sharp pains. I showed her how to do it, but I don't know... she told me my nails were too long so she couldn't do a good job, and I should cut them... hmm as a patient in a hospital do you want your blood-draw girl to demand that you trim your nails so she could do her job? Yeah, I'm a snob.

So she has left, and I did my paperwork and ate some of my lunch, now that it is almost dinner time. I didn't want to eat before my appt, they had to weigh me... fat lot of good that did me, I still tipped the scale at 160... pesky 5 pounds got to go before basic!

I ran last night, yay! I got 33 mins and 3.05 miles. I had originally planned on running my long run a day late, but when I arrived at S.'s house, who was so nice to let me use his things while he wasn't there, and found that I wasn't as prepared as I thought. My shorts were baggy and kept riding up... chafe city... no way my burning thighs would have made it 10-14 miles... and not the muscle burning either.... :-( then I also realized I didn't have a sports bra... weird since I usually wear them all day, but no I had to be wearing a normal bra... oh well. Wasn't meant to be and I at least got in the 33 minutes, and got to hang with my daughter. Of course back at my mom and dad's house I got ditched for her cousin... for a whole hour! We played sorry after my neice went home, then I just had to go to bed. It was around 10:30 ish and I was just that warm fuzzy snuggly kind of tired. Ahhhh, the good kind!

So hopefully after picking up my son from camp tonight I can get them settled in with a movie or something and can sneak out for an hour or so for a run tonight.

Dorkness OUT!

No comments: