Friday, July 07, 2006

Where's the Fun?

Yesterday never got "right" my head just wasn't into it. Actually I didn't get into anything. I had the soccer game right after work, well actually I got over to the bank to make a deposit of some little checks that I had been meaning to put in, then went to the game...

My FIL was there, but no daughter...hmmm so I guess there was just poor execution on the plans of transportation. I guess my x decided that it was more important to be on time to pick up wifey from work than to be home so his daughter could be ontime for her soccer game, something he didn't even have to drive her to, even though it is only a few blocks from his house.

So the daughter finally gets there and has to change in grandpa's car. Her hair is icky, and no hair tie. I gave her mine, so my hair irritated me for the night. Small sacrifice so she could play.

Over all the girls weren't into it except for one. and towards the end they started to pick it up a bit. My daughter admitted that she hadn't gotten much sleep. Ah well

But really what got me was the coach of the other team was really yelling at the kids... and of course my assistant coach was just as bad. The girls weren't having fun. I hate confrontation, and I know it is my responsibility for the sake of the girls so I will have to say something. Her daughter was mad at her because she was yelling at the girls. That made her daughter play poorly. That is too bad. However, we did end up winning 4-2... but it wasn't a very satisfying win, the girls weren't having much fun, and they didn't play as well together as they had in the past. But then again I was in a negative mind set, that also lent to my passive behavior. I didn't want to get into something with the girls and pass on my grumpiness.

Also I know I've mentioned this before, but parents who smoke, obviously don't think anything about smoking around their kids and others.... I had a set of parents light up, right there on the side lines. It was during our half-time and I didn't make a big deal. I sent their daughter over just to let them know that they can't smoke on the field. I wasn't sure if that was the right thing to do or not. It wasn't a huge thing. And they moved to the fence and stood on the parking lot side. I don't agree with that anymore, but what can you do? I guess it is just weird for me to see people have a pure disregard of those around them. Yes, you are out in open air and it will disperse, but these little lungs inside our children's chests are breathing every little bit of air they can... they are trying to improve themselves... how is being around that helping? Why bother... not to mention the roll model thing.

I don't know why I'm so passionate about it. Both of my parents smoke. I don't like being around it, I don't want my kids aroud it, and we've established boudaries for it... I am happy that they've agreed to compromise like they don't ever smoke in the house, any more. The garage is the "smoking room" It isn't perfect, but I'll take what I can get. I just wish they could see the damage they are doing to themselves and realize that they are wanted to live a long life to be around for us and grandkids and they are a part of our lives, and it is hard to see them harm themselves and we put ourselves in minor damage when we expose ourselves to the second hand smoke.

Okay enough soap boxing

I got my youngest last night. It was a nice surprise. It wasn't planned but it made more sense for her to come with me rather than hang at the fields until 10pm with S.

So we watched Bell's Enchanted world or something like that... then Hercule's the cartoon. Little one slept with me again. She had her feet in my face because she had been watching the movie when she fell asleep. Something I like about tapes over DVD's is if you fall asleep with a DVD playing it keeps the TV on all night at the main menu. Tapes rewind themselves and eject and turn the TV off. Perfect!

I was late for work today, little bit didn't want to get up, and honestly neither did I. It was nice to lay there and be lazy. So needless to say, I've got the jogging stroller, but we haven't broken it in yet. :-(

But I think I've rallied at least a small cheering section for the 1/2 marathon tomorrow. YAY. My mom is going to bring the kids. She asked what time she should be there. I said, "We start at 9 so....."

She said, "So I should be there before 10?"

Me: I won't finish in an hour.

Mom: sure you can, I have faith in you

Me: that isn't faith mom, be there around 1045 or 11, that is what I'm shooting for.

She settled on 1030 to make sure she had enough time to find parking and whatnot. It isn't a very big race and I'm more than likely going to place last in my age group... actually maybe I won't. My race time that I am shooting for is near the bottom of the age group for 2004, but in 2005 a few women ran it in 3+hours. Maybe this race is starting to grow, or I'm finally getting a bit faster :-)

S. might show up, I'm not holding my breath because then I'll be disappointed if he can't make it. He has a bunch of other things going this weekend for soccer.... so if he is ther then I'll be excited, and if not then he'll just have to read about it on Monday :-)

Okay, I'm done, I think this got long

Dorkness OUT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*steps on soap box*

You know... I think they still allow smoking at Disneyland. That's DEFINITELY a place where they should ban smoking. Actually... any place that is family oriented and little kids go there a lot should have a no smoking policy. Even if it is an open space. Second hand smoke is second hand smoke. Amen.

*steps off soap box*