Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Mommy and Me Time


My middle child, eldest daughter, and I got a chance to hang out together last nigt. As mentioned my son, eldest child is away at camp, and the youngest is at her dad's. So just me and her last night. It was pretty good, for the most part. I've developed some concern over her and her brother's reactions to some things. She's out right told me that she is angry with her father. That is too bad. But now, I guess it is upon me to try to righten things. I cannot go to her father and plead with him to be better aware of what he is doing to them. But coming from me, he will become defensive. I'm sure I'd do the same thing if someone were to confront me. So counseling for the little ones it is. At the very least, I can hear that they are happy well-adjusted kids and will work through their anger on their own, or not so bad, either that they will have someone to talk to that won't be biased or judgemental. As a parent it is hard to not overreact when you suspect that your own aren't happy, you want to jump in and make it all right. I cannot do that.

So we hung out at the house after her soccer practice. We played some Disney Trivia until we bored of it, popped in a movie, and ate some ice cream. It was a quiet night for the most part. My parents had friends over, of course, a big cooler of beer was out on the deck for everyone to enjoy. (oh yay *note sarcasm*)
My mom tried to coax me into letting the kids that came with said company play with me and my daugther... uh, sorry, I'm not babysitting for one, and for two I'd like to have quality time with my own child for a while, but thanks for asking... but shortly the kids were over to take my kids' bikes... can't anything be our own. I'm sure I'm being selfish. It isn't the kids' faults that they're bored and being ignored for the sake of adult interction with other adults and alcohol. I hope the pregnant mom wasn't drinking... but I'm sure she was. When will my parents understand that their friends are necessarily mine, too? I don't particularly care for the drinking, smoking, type who ignore their kids...
I felt too guilty to leave my daughter behind to go on my run. I had intended to go this morning, but when I woke up at 3:45 it was raining extremely hard.
I reset the alarm and woke up at 7 instead.
When we got into the car on the way to work, my daughter was laughing. "Look at your seat, mommy."
Oh my gosh! I forgot to close my sunroof! Both front seats and the middle console were soaked. My daughter thought this was very funny, as I tried to sit in a way to minimize soaking my clothes. I didn't really care to come into work with soggy pants. Maybe I should have run this morning. I would have discovered the open window much sooner, as my watch was also inside the car!
Another life lesson, I guess.
So I asked my daughter what she wanted to do this evening, since there is no soccer, or running, or anything (I should use the time to run, but maybe I will try again after she falls asleep). She decided on going to a playground to chalk up the sidewalks and play, maybe we can get a hopscotch going :-) its been a while, but I'm sure we can figure it out. Then maybe some subway for dinner... she likes tuna sandwiches... weird 7 year old :-)
That's it for now.
Dorkness OUT!

No comments: