Sunday, July 02, 2006

Off Topic

I think I got off topic earlier, and my post didn't go where I had intended it to. I guess that is what happens when you get interrupted by a ward clerk who doesn't know much of anything and is trying to get you to do her job for her... gotta love it.

After we left the track that was in fact open for me to run on it, and I was too lazy to do it, we went to Taco Bell... yumm. I ordered way too much food, but that was okay because me and my youngest had breakfast snackage because of it! We went back to my place. S., me, and the baby girl. We had a really good time hanging out, eating, trying to teach the little one that you can pass time other than talking non-stop. She finally quieted down as we had her lay down to watch the movie. We watched Coach Carter, I've seen it many times, and I think S. has seen it a few times himself. I was surprised that he stayed until the end. It was getting really late as in 1130pm... we're old folk trapped in youngish bodies... but there it is. Oh yeah and I bought a jogging stroller for the baby girl to ride in while I run. Assuming that I will ultimately stop being lazy and start running again.

I'm reading Becoming an Ironman by Kara Douglass Thom. It is a really cool compilation of people's first times.... of completing their ironman.

So a nurse came up to the processing area to drop off some infant poo and said, "Oh, you're going to be an ironman?" I say, "I'm thinking about it.... it is quite the endurance sport."

I guess I made the (wrong) assumption that she knew what she was talking about... She heard what the distance was... 2.4 mi swim, 112 mi bike, and 26.2 mi run.... she said something like 3/4 of a mile swim, 5 miles biking, and like 2 or 3 miles running would be more my speed...

Huh, I guess with running, all races are a marathon, with triathlons, all events are ironman.

Oh yeah and it is only in Hawaii... by the way, (not really there are several across the world, to qualify for Hawaii, which is the championship race). Well the book is really cool, I recommend it, and I also recommend it if the weather is nice outside, because you feel like a bad-ass and want to go out there and show some guts and glory, but really can't because the wuss inside of you is whining, but it is raining, and that wind, you'll just freeze to death, why would you want to do that? Please don't do that!

Bah!

I found out that my bike needs some work. I had it in a nice covered area right next to my door when I lived in my most recent apartment, the landlord and his son moved it. I thought it was really cool that they covered it with a tarp. Apparantly the tarping was only temperary and served another purpose. My (expensive for me) bike sat out in the elements all winter long. I hadn't even realized it until I went to go for a ride the other day with my son. It needs a new chain and some other bering type work on the back wheel... can you tell I totally know what I'm talking about? Haha, yeah, I don't... bikes are a mystery to me. I don't even know what gear I should be riding in. I just ride at what is comfortable, usually on the higher resistance side. I think I'll try to find a really good deal on a road bike while I'm in the states this winter. I know that diving into a new multi-faceted sporting venue will really take up the time. I guess the challenge would be to continue to find that time when I come home!

Ahhh... another whole hour before we can go home... what am I going to do tonight?

Oh maybe S. will let me use his TM, if it doesn't keep everyone awake....

Dorkness OUT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love how you are all about exercising with your kids. the baby jogging stroller. the biking. that's so cool!!

and i was definitely in bed by 11:30 last night...